Friday, May 6, 2016

Mature Fashion: Capsule Concept Craze

Part of my Denim Capsule
For those you who have been following my blogs, you know I am a capsule enthusiast but I do have a bit of concern for the proliferation of "capsules" that are appearing on the market, or rather, I should say, a caution or two to fashionistas, and certainly, to all aspiring stylinistas.

Firstly, the word "capsule" has taken on more than one meaning in the fashion world.  The traditional term referred to the  "wardrobe" capsule; a collection of  basic garments made of year around fabrics that were coordinated and could be mixed and matched in many ways to serve all purpose "looks". this concept has been around for decades. (My first styling book was written by the Actress/Author Arlene Dahl back in the '60s.) Depending upon the concept model, the capsule could contain as few as five pieces!! (uniform concept).  Nine well chosen pieces create 42 outfits!! (I will have a post on how this is done in Rockmystyling.blogspot.com.)  

In the past several years, the "Capsule Collection" has become popular.  Basically, they were marketed by Name Personalities such a Jennifer Lopez, Gwen Stefani, Madonna, etc., and were a set of interchangeable garments made for and carried by specific department stores, and more recently, by on-line retailers. Designers have now gone one step further and are marketing specific fashion capsules directly to the public.  Retail stores are also offering pre-made capsules from different designers but are styled to work together. Some of the capsules included accessories such as shoes, handbag, etc.; others were just the core garments.

On a positive note, very busy women who are secure that the garments in any capsule will all fit her body type, whose colors and styles flatter her figure, whose lifestyle roles are effectively covered within the collection, may find these capsules very appealing.

On a less positive reflection, I cannot think of any of these collections that could adequately flatter a large number of prospective purchasers.  At best, they would be 'alright'. but certainly not bring out the best of the wearer.  As you know, there is never really "a one size fits all", and often if it does fit, it really can't be successfully right for all body types.  I envision many of the garments in a  premade "capsule" will just sit in the closet; nothing will be gained.  Another negative reaction for me personally would be encountering my styling clone.  Several hundred thousand women wearing the same combination of a limited numbers of garments does not thrill me at all. 

 A consistent criticisms regarding older men and women is their resistance to change;   I am not resistant to the idea of pre-made capsules PROVIDING each woman chooses very carefully the type suitable to her coloring, body type, and fashion style.  We have Blue Apron helping us with our menus now which some of my younger professional friends use regularly.  This option allows one to choose only a few menus for a week, giving the user the option for variety.  Possibly some combination of a core wardrobe capsule plus a seasonal purchased capsule might be a more positive approach.  After all, that is somewhat the method I use each season anyway; trendy purchases to wear with my staples.  I am seriously thinking about this approach for my next "closet collection". (See, an oldie can learn "new tricks" !!..that's what helps me "RockMyAge".)


2 comments:

  1. I am glad that you are still learning from others but don't change too much as I have learned alot from your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...Thanks, Tonya; I am so glad I have been able to share with you some of the basics of personal fashion styling. It is especially gratifying that your have put it to use. I was actually referring to the capsule collection model when I was referencing the "oldie can learn new tricks" sidebar. I have been reading so much lately about these pre-made capsules so many on line retailers are marketing. In the blog I posted the inherent dangers of this approach. However, as a trained business analyst for many years I really do see some merit in this approach when used creatively. In fact, I will be posting an approach that I think will blend the best of both a "wardrobe capsule" and a "fashion capsule". I don't know if I can complete this for the F/W 2016 season, but I will certainly have a model completed by S/S 2017. I have already made all the purchases I plan to for fall except the white leather boots I want.

    In any event, I certainly trust my styling will continue to evolve; I come from that "continuous improvement" atmosphere and believe most people benefit from that mindset. I also believe that mental elasticity is necessary to "Rock Age".

    ReplyDelete