Thursday, May 19, 2016

Mature Fashion: Work Party


A distinct disadvantage many of us older women have is our lack of muscle, strength, and 'know how' to take care of many of the home maintenance duties that just have to be done.  Some of us are lucky enough to have handyman husbands, brothers, or sons who are willing (and physically able) to do them for us.  Many of us do not, or our masculine 'help' just is unable to make the time or the effort.  We inevitably pay to have these tasks done by a 'professional' who charges us an arm and a leg to perform sometimes rather simple but labor intensive and knowledge based chores.

Several years ago two of my friends and I decided to form a threesome 'girls work group' to help each other do some of these tasks.  Each of us have some knowledge in various areas, and I believe one of my friends is a  latent but inexperienced contractor!)

We agreed to meet once a month, choosing a task we believed that we could do as a team in one day, hopefully within 4 to 6 hours collectively.  Naturally, we took turns as to whose chore would be on the agenda. A few years ago, one of the friends dropped out (she has a son-in-law and live-in handyman who barters rent for his construction skills-lucky her!)

This past week-end we needed to prune her mature trees and change the faucets on her guest bathroom.  You can see the old faucet in picture #2, and the one to be installed in picture #3.  You can see my friend tightening some of the hardware. Unfortunately, we were unable to complete the job last week-end, and will resume on Saturday.  As might be expected with our lack of experience, on this type of chore it may take us a while.  (we bought the wrong type of plumbers putty-we also could not complete all the pruning because we needed space in the garbage cans).

Although my friend is a decade younger than I am, neither of us are 'spring chickens' Learning new tasks, keeping ourselves both physically and mentally active, and not "giving up" on what we can or cannot do is vital to 'rocking our ages'.  We are about the same size, takes care of her health about the same as do I, and is re-assured that she is also likely to be able to do the same tasks when she reaches my age.

I am sure you have also noted we take our fashion seriously, even when working.  Both of us are wearing our 'household chore role" clothing. In the top picture I am wearing my drab olive Hanes sweat-shirt over my camo long sleeved t-shirt (it was still chilly outdoors), drab olive narrow pants, and working sneakers.
I used my aged 'Free People" camo boho handbag.   My friend wore narrow navy sweat pants and a short sleeve white v-neck t-shirt. 

When leaving to run the necessary errand and grab a quick lunch, a quick substitution of the gray utility jacket for my sweat-shirt exposed the camo tee. A change to the camo flats instantly made me ready for the public outing. My friend added her matching zippered sweat-shirt and black leather sport shoes for the same effect. She grabbed her black leather handbag on the way out of the house. This up-coming weekend, I will be wearing another of my "household chores" uniforms.

By the way, you have heard me mention several times in the posts the unexpected but always relevant results of the impression we make when interviewing or conducting business, etc.  In addition to personally feeling confident and more self assured when dealing with unknown and often rather thorny problems, I ALWAYS notice that the people who are helping us are more willing to spend the necessary time with the inevitable questions, lack of understanding, etc.  It truly does not take more effort to look good no matter what task or chore being performed; a woman just has to be aware!!  IF YOU LOOK GOOD, YOU FEEL GOOD!!!  

On another note, I am very happy to share with you another tidbit; I am certainly feeling the results of my exercise class; I believe the guidance of the Jane Fonda DVD and the companionship of the other participants has really inspired me.  I find myself thinking about posture several times during the day, etc. I am also noticing a bit more firmness around my mid-section; my area of physical challenge. I have also discovered that I can now use 3 pound weights rather than the 2 pound ones I have used in the past. I am so pleased about this;  Feeling good is necessary for me to 'Rock My Age(s).'










No comments:

Post a Comment