Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Mature fashion: Inventory time

Fall is actually approaching and it is time to take my semi-annual inventory of clothing and accessories. I do this only twice a year because here in California's Bay Area , we really have only two seasons; hot and mild.  (it rarely freezes and our chilly or wet weather is confined to a few weeks rather than months).

Although taking a seasonal inventory of our closets is beneficial to anyone who wishes to keep their wardrobes from becoming dated, it is really necessary for an older or disabled woman to know how to best spend her clothing dollars.  Our physical characteristics are subject to sometimes rapid change, our income is likely to be fixed, and our social engagements may change rather drastically.   Personally, I limit the amount of money I am willing to spend on any item to $1.00 per wearing. (In other words, if I spend $14.00 dollars on the item, I expect to wear it fourteen times before its life cycle is passed.(obviously, one time items such as some formal wear does not meet that criteria, but I try).

Inventory always begins with sorting out clothing into three categories: keepers, trash, and "maybes". Trouble in maintaining an effective clothing and accessory inventory usually happens with deciding which is which. In a nutshell,  Keepers should ALWAYS be defined as garments that 'like' you-they must fit well, be comfortable,  be in good condition, flatter the essential you, and you must really like them..."love" is even better. (unless you have a wardrobe of "loves" that do not work well together). Trash should be anything that is not wearable now without spending a lot of time or money to fix it or make it fit.  It is also any item that does not flatter you not matter its condition and it must suit your lifestyle at this stage of your life. (There are many websites, television shows, books, articles, etc. about how to organize your wardrobe.  Most of these will teach you how to maintain your closet effectively).

I always take inventory after the seasonal runway shows.  This week is 2016 Spring "Fashion Week" in New York.  I wait for the shows (Style.com, etc.) because I may make a decision to discard or hold on to a garment based upon wear-ability for the upcoming seasons.  For instance, the fall issues showed several models wearing clogs with skirts and crop pants that are identical to the Dansk clogs I have in my garage. I used them for outside work for many years.  I cleaned them up, gave them a coat of Meltonian shoe cream, and Voila!  I have a fashion forward, comfortable pair of shoes for my fall/winter seasonal wardrobe!

Waiting for the fashion shows before doing inventory also discloses any deficiency I may need to add to my wardrobe. ( When I watched the fall 2015 fashion shows last spring, I noted that loafers and "menswear" shoes were popular.  I have been able to purchase two great pair of high quality shoes for very little money that will work wonderfully with my existing wardrobe.)  Watching the shows also help you select current looks that will suit your taste and figure.  You can quickly pick up ideas for how you can incorporate those looks within your existing wardrobe and select what new items you may wish to purchase.

In deciding what items to discard, one word of note:  I DO  NOT agree with fashion advice that says "if you haven't worn it in a year, get rid of it". (The fashion industry would love you to follow this universal principle) Of course, if it no longer fits you, or the color is no longer flattering, etc., get rid of it. If it fits, flatters, is of classic shape (no extreme design), and is of high quality, hold on to it. Providing it fits and flatters, it can feel fresh and new again.

High quality, classic items do not go out of style.  You may have to wait a season or two (or three or four) before you wear the gem.  The secret is learning to accessorize in such a way that your classic clothing does not look dated, and to have in your wardrobe essential pieces that will allow you to keep a modern.  

I actually had this experience this morning.  When taking inventory I noted that I had not worn a pearl grey/charcoal pinstripe pair of capri pants this season.  I matched it with a scoop neck linen lightweight sweater and wound a lovely grey floral silk scarf around my neck.  Pretty but boring...and dated..I tried a similarly styled leopard scarf but it still felt "old".  I decided to tie the leopard scarf as a band around my fedora hat, added snake skin moccassins and a chain necklace with a statement  mother of pearl disc.  Again, voila!  instant style within the current vogue that was flattering, unused in my closet! ( I will upload a picture as soon as I find out how!)

Inventory over....I need to replace a black A-line skirt (needed this coming season-I won't get rid of it until I find the replacement). I got rid of an old belt, three sweaters, 1 purse, and four pair of shoes whose fashion era is now past.  (I bought them for a good price-three of the items met the $1.00 per wearing criteria, three cost between one and three dollars per wearing, one cost five dollars, one was special occasion and cost $29.00, and one was just a mistake and cost $10.00-on sale).

I need to replace a black A-line skirt I already have. I will only be able to get a few more wearings out of it and it will be useful for the fall fashions.  I also need to purchase a pair of low heels with cut-outs, preferably with ties on the vamp for spring 2016 and a pair of red capris for my 2016 look.  I am all set for fall 2015.



No comments:

Post a Comment