Monday, September 28, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking Denim

Good Day, Stylinistas; 

This post discusses another disagreement I have with a rather common fashion no-no for mature women.  Wearing matching items of denim
 depends upon HOW they are worn together within the context of your body and lifestyle.  (notice how I keep hammering on this theme).

The House of Givency  showed an interesting combination of slim legged denim pants worn with a classic denim shirt and topped with a knee length kiwi green leopard coat and matching denim blue boots (they look like suede to me )in its 2016 Resort Collection (See style.com). This combination could absolutely ROCK on a woman of almost any age! 

Of course, I don't have a kiwi knee length leopard print coat in my closet, but I DO have a pair of jeans and a classic denim shirt and similar boots.  I also have a lavishly trimmed shearling three-quarter suede coat that gives the same sort of playful touch as the  kiwi leopard..and a cool leopard bag. 
I re-interpreted Givency's look by replacing the leopard coat with the shearling coat, added a substantial turquoise squash blossom necklace, a saddle stitched deep blue belt with a silver buckle, and the leopard bucket to  the monotone shirt, jeans, and boots.  I love the playful but elegant look; my very own style, but the inspiration was Givency.  

I turned up the volume on a western look by adding camel boots in this year's favorite boot heel and using a hunter green leather bucket bag with a fringed leather cord.   









Look #3 uses next spring styling in its Americana red, white, and blue with white backless tennis skimmers;p big fashion theme in the 2016 New York fashion week shows.













Look #4 makes denim a little edgy with the Chrome Hearts moto "dagger" bag and the black lace up cutout heels.  The argyle silk shirt adds to the look.  










Look #5 is one of my favorites.  I matched dark blue denim jeans with a matching denim jacket to which I have sewn many patches collected from places I have visited.  (I have been doing this for several years and the jacket is quite old)  Each patch is a keep-sake that means a lot to me. I have accessorized with a red and white Breton striped t-shirt and a matching (yes, the purse DOES match the shoes-another current fashion no-no.  How many of you are old enough to remember that it was a no-no if you did NOT match them?) purse with heavy silver toned hardware similar to the heavy silver toned buttons of the jacket.  Patches cover the entire back shoulders of the jacket and the back of the sleeves. (you may notice that the ones coming over the shoulder are just tacked on for placement.  I need to sew them securely before I can wear the jacket)




The last look pairs another denim jacket and jeans with a simple leopard print blouse.  I either add sandals in a similar leopard print or high heel pumps in the same design as the blouse.  I used a simple chocolate leather bucket bag to complete my look.  (I could have used the same leopard bag I used with the shearling coat but I think that much matchy-matchy would be a little "tired".



I love each of my matching denim looks even though this type of matching may be jeered at with phrases like the "Canadian tux" or "Redneck tux". Frankly, I like denim.  I do agree that many times it is not worn in a very flattering manner. It can make the wearer look older than her years, look dated and frumpy, especially if improperly fitted, but that is not the fault of the denim.

I believe THERE ARE NO ABSOLUTE RULES except those I define for myself based on  my unique style, my fashion aesthetic, and the needs of my lifestyle. Every "rule" is subject to what is suitable to the wearer, the occasion, time, and place, etc., etc., etc.  I break these "rules" all the time -(WHO comes up with them?)

After all, every fashion cycle begins with  someone developing a fresh new look to an out of date style. Do you agree?   I am looking forward to hearing from you..

.......Geneva

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love most of your combinations! The "there are no rules" comment was right on. I completely believe that sometimes we have to think "outside the box" change things up. I love revisiting an old classic and adding a new little accessory. My money budget is small therefore I belive in keeping my main pieces fairly interchangeable. There is SO MUCH you can do with the right accessory or combination of things you probably already have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..A postscript to the post: I just opened my October issue of Elle. On page 149 the model wearing the Movado watch is also wearing dark was jewns with a distressed denim shirt and medium navysuede flats. I would suggest a mature 'fashionista' might consider more of a 'statement' earring and one or more rings. Of course, this ad means to call attention to the watch. In any event, the model 'rocks' her two piece denim garments...Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the denim looks! Denim is one that can make an outfit look cheap or classy, all depending on the fit of it. It's also a fabric that can be worn with dresses, leggings, printed shorts/skirts, leather, or as skinny jeans paired with a cute pair of heels- the options are endless! The wash of the fabric matters, too- light washed/distressed for the day look, or darker wash for a clean-cut evening wear. Paired with the right accessories, denim is no longer confined to being just a pair of pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those tips, all of which I agree with 100%! These tips apply to all "ages", but the tips on the wash are especially important; I am very careful to make sure the style, cut, and color age with me. Thanks again.....

      Delete