Saturday, September 26, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking Classic

Good Morning Stylinistas;


Today we are going to talk about Classics and their problem for the mature woman.  The most significant problem with a wardrobe composed of all classics is boredom.

Let's face it; a little black skirt worn with a white shirt and a matching blazer, worn with medium heel pumps, etc., is almost sure to look dated unless something fresh or unexpected is added.  

This year combinations of a mono-toned matching blazer and skirt (or trousers), and simple classic shirts can be fresh and stylish just by mixing the right accessories and a few pieces that you already have on hand.  A simple white shirt and skirt (any color, preferably dark, any shape or length) can rock with the right pair of sturdy shoes or boots, (depending upon the length and style of skirt) and the right mix of unexpected colors.  (consult previous post on rocking color).

I mentioned in an earlier post that I never throw away a classic item of good quality just because I have not worn it for a year or more.  If it still fits, is flattering to my older skin tone, figure, etc. I hold on to it.I have styled several outfits (noted in my style book along with the quirky color combinations I mentioned in an earlier post) using only classics pieces and utilitarian footwear. 
Here are a couple examples:
 


1) gray herringbone wide legged trousers with a charcoal blazer or men's cardigan sweater worn with a grey herringbone shirt and  a pair of patent pearl gray clogs. Accessories include a Brighton grey alligator belt and a silver omega necklace. All jazzed up with a color blocked rust, silver metallic, and black Makowski purse worn with vintage grey suede cloche hat and red plaid inset black leather gloves.

2) white BB shirt with A line just below the knee length black textured skirt worn with flat men's style buckle shoes, lacy black tights, a statement belt and classic tote.  I would pair this with a black cardigan sweater or blazer.

3) classic camel colored mock turtle sweater (regular turtle neck would be more fashionable but I have a short neck!) worn with classic camel and wine colored plaid trousers, wine rose and thistle blazer, camel ankle boots with medium low heel and puce purse (same blazer and purse I used as example in rocking textures).  I turned up the volume on the outfit by adding a "loud" Ed/Don Hardy belt in purples and gold and a "rocker" wine and black fedora hat.  I also added camel quilted leather gloves and a vintage Brighton camel structured purse ( I have had that purse for ages!-good purses DO last).

The little things....

I have added metallic and cream tights, some  argyle trouser socks, and a pair of plaid gloves to my wardrobe. These accessories can be worn successfully by women of any age and add a modern touch to 2015 fall fashion. Only the gloves are expected to last more than one season, so I really have spent very little money to get some great looks. (more coming).

fashion tip:  Structured purses are more fashionable this year than slouch styles. Gloves are longer this year and turtleneck sweaters are worn with almost everything.

Personally, I wasn't too happy with some of the runway fashions I saw until I really started mixing and matching in my closet.  Now I am coming up with new ideas every day.....(I still need to find just the perfect long sleeve lace crew neck overblouse and a black skirt with just the right slit on the leg to complete the looks I want for fall....and to "rock my age" ..happy styling...Geneva

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love some of the un-likely accessory combinations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much; I hope you find many more in your own closet.

      Delete
  3. I think everyone should own a few classics in their closet-- after all, staples such as these are the building blocks to a great wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete