Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking Texture & Pattern

Good Day, Stylinistas;  

I have found mixing textures and patterns to be an inexpensive and sophisticated way to update my look, perfect for a mature woman.

I found an ethnic print top at a summer clearance sale ($15.00-originally $49.00) that works beautifully with an ethnic print skirt I purchased last year ($5.00-originally also $49.00)!   The skirt is of a fuzzy cotton blend, and the top is polyester.  I mixed the skirt and top with textured, patterned black nylon tights, peau de soie sling back shoes with patent heels.  To keep from having too much pattern going on, I accessorized with a plain black purse with gold hardware, medium sized gold over/under earrings, two simple gold ring bands, and a black watch with gold metal accents.  I love the look!  It feels modern, energetic,makes me feel fashionable without looking a fashion victim. This look suits my preference for low key elegance in my professional dress, and is exactly right for the climate here in Northern California at this time of year.   It is also exactly right for a mature woman, forty and beyond. 

Although we have had record high temperatures this year, it is always summer weather during September in the Bay Area-Early morning and late evening can be chilly here so I have a black linen blazer to wear later in the day. I know, I  know, linen after Labor Day.(a foolish rule when our temperatures soar to 3 digits in September!). Personally, I wear linen in three seasons, strictly depending upon the weather.


You cannot really see the texture in this picture of the shoes and tights.  The tights are a series of diamond shaped transparent cutouts that show a bit of skin tone yet obscure enough to cover veins.  I am also styling a plaid pleated knee length skirt with a velvet wine colored blazer and a lavender pin stripe shirt  and ankle boots.

A little thing....Textured hosiery is very much on trend this fashion season.  It is a great way to add a little touch of femininity to the menswear loafers, lumber jack boots and ankle boot heels worn by so many designer  models.

1 comment: