Monday, September 21, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking Comfort Shoes

Good Day, Stylinistas....

Today we are discussing another fashion myth.  Next to elastic waist pants, sturdy comfortable footwear is badmouthed most by  stylists.  I, like many "mature" and/or disabled women have a problem with wearing most of the fashionable and truly lovely shoes available in every fashion season.  I would love to wear many of them, but I simply cannot. I have spent way too much money over the years trying, sometimes having feet that hurt so bad I have to take my shoes off and go barefoot in very inconvenient places. (one of the most, on the sidewalk-in the rain. New Years Eve, several years ago)

I have genetic nerve degeneration in my right foot that became a problem in my early thirties.(40 years ago, but who's counting)  I have had two operations on the foot with no success achieving  relief from pain; I can only mitigate it by alternating at least three pair of shoes a day unless I wear a high quality 'comfort' shoe. Even then, I usually carry at least one spare pair, just in case. Extended periods of foot pain also lead to nocturnal leg cramps, an event that I dread.  

Okay, I can't wear a lot of shoes I would love to wear, however, I constantly look for rather plain, classic styles that are comfortable, well made, and do not detract from the rest of my "look". I do this for every season of the year, summer included.

I read an article the other day that flatly stated that no comfort sandal could look stylish no matter what one wore.  I disagree.  It is true that it may take a little thought to style just the right outfits, however, I have always found it possible when I have made the time to do a little mixing and matching.  I have a picture here of one of my outfits I regularly wear during the hot weather and when worn, receive many compliments.  Most importantly, I do not in any way feel frumpish or dowdy while feeling comfortable and cool.

SAS (San Antonio Shoemakers), Clarks, Merrill, Munro, Frye, Cole Haan, Bass, Brighton, as well as many others  make shoes that are sturdy and comfortable.  Less expensive brands such as Aerosoles, Life Stride, and Comfort Plus are can also be very comfortable and easily styled with your garments.  (The sandals pictured are SAS ))

This fall and 2016 Spring offer many opportunities to use my comfort shoes stylishly.
Fashions usually designed for men such as wing tip oxfords, plain or two toned oxfords, buckled flat shoes, and sport shoes of all types are mixed in with office dressing (shirt and skirt), slouch belts, etc.  I am planning on wearing lots of loafers and 'walking shoes' that already exist in my closet.  Looks that are on trend and stylish without spending any money at all; just mixing my accessories in new and fresh ways...(well, maybe I will add a little....retail therapy, you know)

Any suggestions you, my reader, may have for stylish but comfortable footwear will be appreciated......happy styling....Geneva




2 comments:

  1. I love cute & fashionable shoes as much as any other diva like myself! However, I tend to find a lot of these shoes to be lacking in the comfort department; resulting in me having to change into another pair or two of more comfortable, yet less fashionable, shoes throughout the day. Often times, when someone feels uncomfortable in a pair of shoes they're wearing, it tends to show on the outside. I feel that when paired with the right outfit, accessories & confidence...who's going to be focusing on your shoes anyways?! Your versatility in fashion shows that one can be both classy & comfortable...keep on rocking on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its true, its true;!! I really relate to having to carry 'backup' shoes with me. I have found that if I select my styles carefully, I can feel modern and up to date without sacrificing comfort. Our feet will rejoice in the season's ankle boots with the sturdier and lower heel, loafer styles, and athletic themed footwear.

      Delete