Sunday, September 20, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking Elastic

Good day, Stylinistas...today we are discussing elastic waists;

When I envision elastic waists I still have an instant recollection of most of my older female relatives, comfortable only in wide legged baggy colored elastic waist pants worn with 'comfort' ankle strap sandals or tennis shoes, a short sleeved coordinating blouse, and short permed graying hair wearing no make-up; If they dressed for an important event such as a wedding, they were content with a sleeveless shapeless dress worn with sturdy comfort heels, and maybe a little lipstick. If they discussed their appearance at all, it was with a somewhat smug complaisance that most women expected to "lose their looks"; that being neat and clean was sufficient in middle or old age; in fact, any overt concern with their appearance was unattractive vanity and unworthy of a "respectable woman". ( I have actually experienced one relative within the last ten years who chastised her mother for wearing lipstick "at her age". Unfortunately, I noticed at an early age that this view of aging women was not at all that uncommon.

This view is the stereo-type of the dowdy, frumpy female I  swore I would never become. Unfortunately, I still read articles prohibiting a woman from wearing elastic waist pants. (BTW, I wonder what they think of leggings on older women?)  IT IS ALL ABOUT HOW YOU STYLE YOUR PERSONAL SELF. Clothing that fit your body perfectly, flatter your body type, reflect your personality, suit your lifestyle and the occasion are what make you look GOOD AT ANY AGE. It is not about looking 'young', it is about looking 'good'.

 Fortunately, flattering style and fashion is now available for anyone. It is available for any age and/ or disability. Today, department stores such as Macy's, Penny's, etc. carry several brands with elastic waists that are made of quality materials and have great style. (Karen Scott, Alfred Dunner, Jennifer Moore, Avenue, Lane Bryant, to name a few ) For women who need to wear elastic waists (persons with any disabilities in their hands or nervous systems) and cannot manage zippers or buttons these brands allow them to indulge their desire for flattering style and fashion without sacrificing comfort or convenience. There are a few specialty shops and mail order sources that have garments made specially for disabilities. (More on this later).

I have a good friend who has Multiple Sclerosis (MS).  Not only does she have to have elastic waistbands for ease of dress, she suffers from loss of motion in one of her legs. She must have the wider leg to allow convenient removal of her pants.  She also has to wear sturdy shoes that have ties or convenient straps to keep shoes on her feet.  In spite of this very debilitating disease she is able to 'rock elastic'  by making sure her clothing fits properly, wearing just the right accessories, and exercising her own sense of style and color.  

Persons who are more comfortable or who have physical disabilities that require them to wear elastic waist pants have a great opportunity to experiment with unexpected color combinations available in their closet.  Personally, I have not reached the point where I am troubled by zippers or buttons but I do suffer from some pain in my finger joints caused by osteoarthritis (old age) and envision the time when I, too, will have to have elastic waists.  I hope I can 'rock elastic' as well as my friend does.  

Have a great day.......Geneva

6 comments:

  1. At this point in my life I have been losing quite a bit of weight and I think "elastic waist" pants a.k.a leggings ROCK! There are so many great prints out there now. Again as I have said before small clothing budget😞 so with weight loss all of my pants/skirts from before are a loss but since cooler weather is coming up the sweaters from last year can be saved with simply pairing with leggings and possibly a belt if needed. Throw on some boots(and a scarf or necklace) and I am ready to go. If continuing to loose weight elastic is very forgiving ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. The boots and scarfs will be right on trend. Happy Styling, and please send me more of your suggestions.

      Delete
  2. At this point in my life I have been losing quite a bit of weight and I think "elastic waist" pants a.k.a leggings ROCK! There are so many great prints out there now. Again as I have said before small clothing budget😞 so with weight loss all of my pants/skirts from before are a loss but since cooler weather is coming up the sweaters from last year can be saved with simply pairing with leggings and possibly a belt if needed. Throw on some boots(and a scarf or necklace) and I am ready to go. If continuing to loose weight elastic is very forgiving ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently visited your blog site. I was impressed by the " rocking denim" outfits. Very well put together! I LOVE denim. I also liked "rocking elastic". I wear leggings a lot, They seem to make your legs look longer and thinner. I try to find the ones with a very wide waist band and that helps girdle that over the hill bulge that some of us get. I agree with you that looking your best makes you feel your best. I will be following you...ROCK ON........Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you "Ali"; I look forward to trying some of your style combinations.

      Delete