Monday, October 5, 2015

Rocking a Role

Have you seen the ad where Jamie Lee Curtis portrays a woman preparing for her day by doing her morning exercise routine, visiting 'wardrobe', then eating her breakfast yogurt?  

After all, we dress for an interview, a first date, meeting in-laws for the first time, etc., etc., always taking note that we want to make a good impression for that event. All too often I think we forget that everywhere and everytime we are making some sort of an impression on people who we teach, depend upon, or have social contact.  This is important whether or not we know the person well or are meeting them for the first time. 

How confident we feel within this role depends a great deal upon how we perceive ourselves, and how we believe others perceive us.  Our appearance is all too often the only clue an observer has as to what we feel about ourselves. Whether this opinion is right or wrong, many psychological studies have revealed that an opinion of us is made in only a few seconds after one meets someone for the first time.  More significantly, an instant negative impression is often difficult to change. (for those interested, read the book "Blink," the Art of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell).


(I, apparently like Ms. Curtis, have always felt the art of a woman dressing for the day should be viewed as dressing for her stage or screen role. (Even Shakespeare said "All the world's a stage and each must play its part".) I dress at all times (i.e., as much as possible ) for the possibility I may unexpectedly encounter someone. 

I always begin my day in my pajamas.  I always wear flannel or cotton pajama bottoms with a tee shirt. I find this sleepwear is comfortable, convenient, warm enough, and allows me to look presentable to all until I get dressed. (I usually will slip on a bra, comb my hair, and rinse my face immediately upon arising).  I wear simple house thongs for my feet, and if it is chilly add a utility cardigan sweater or slippers.  This is my uniform until I do early chores such as eating breakfast, making the bed, and caring for my animals.  After those chores I then put on the clothes I plan to wear for my daily "role"

Today my role is to clean house, go to the post office and mail a package, and make a quick trip to the ATM.
My costume for the day is a character transparent cotton overshirt worn over a dark red short sleeved tee cotton shirt, black cotton jeans, and crocodile loafers. I put these on and perform my basic cosmetics routine immediately after doing my breakfast dishes. This combination will carry me through the day and all my chores.  I put on a pair of black over and under earrings as my only jewelry. (Earrings never interfere with chores).   I will wear this with a red leather purse and possibly add a ring.  (All of these articles were chosen the night before; getting dressed as soon as possible gets me into the role immediately)

No comments:

Post a Comment