Friday, December 4, 2015

Mature Fashion: S/S 2016:Release #1: "Natty Nauticals", Oval & Hourglass Body Types

Seasons Greetings, Fashionistas and Stylinistas;


Christmas is three weeks away and we are seeing the resort merchandise in the retail stores; in a few weeks clothing geared toward Spring/Summer 2016 will be on the racks.

Consequently, I am releasing my first "closet collection" of the 2016 season called "Natty Nauticals".  The ensembles presented are always based on garments already in my closet. In most cases the garments are only a re-mix of clothes I already own but shown in a fresh new way; in some cases I have added a minor purchase to update the look.  Usually, that purchase will be something as minor as a scarf or inexpensive over blouse. The primary purpose of these "closet collections" is to demonstrate we do not have to break the bank to stay youthful and fashionable and dress with style.  My personal closet ensembles are representative of a mature female population whose primary life "roles" are local community based, home based, and work based.  The collections also take into account that most of us of a certain age are budget conscious when purchasing clothing. 


One of the hottest trends this year is the timeless and classic nautical theme with a few modern twists.  Classic navy and white has been updated this year in a few interesting ways.  Black and white stripes, pop color stripes, and multi-directional stripes update the look.  Many of the stripes incorporate additional colors other than the basic stripe. Nautical and maritime themes such as starfish, shells, etc. and other sea creatures are inspiration for many of the prints and patterns.  White continues as a strong color theme for both Spring and Summer; a fact that pleases me because I like white garments and have quite a few of them.  You may visit the collection at "Rockmyrunwaay.blogspot.com". 

The example of one of the ensembles I have chosen for a more businesslike role is shown in the upper left hand corner.  I have not shown it with any accessories and am leaving it as a back-up choice in my style book; I am not sure I would choose to wear this one if I had a back-up choice.  My own postings to body type, etc. on "Rockmyrole.blogspot.com" have reminded me the cable knit sweater adds a few pounds!!  I do have a lovely silk yachting scarf in navy, white, and red that will look good, but the whole combination is rather ordinary.  But, I will wear all the garments in other ways, and I would definitely wear this outfit to any event that would require a conservative and traditional appearance;  one of the benefits of my age.

There as as many as twelve fashion themes this year, depending upon which fashion source you credit.  I have identified six "closet collections" that incorporate most of those themes from my own closet.  The remaining five are "Not So Old Glory", based on the colors of the American Flag, "Beyond the Boudoir", reflecting the craze for lingerie dressing as street wear, "Grandmother Grunge", based on the more hard edged utilitarian functions of our garments, " Global Grandma" representing the variety of cultural influences from Fashion Week.    "Gamour Grams" represents the continued presence of rich materials such as fur, velvets, brocades, and lace.  The few that are not incorporated I will share in one separate post because I will not be incorporating collections of those looks from my closets. 

I expect to release "Not So Old Glory" next week.  Until then, happy styling, Stylinistas;

.....................Geneva.............Rockmyages@aol.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment