Friday, February 26, 2016

Mature Fashion: Fashion as Fun

Good Day, Fashionistas and Stylinista Friends;


We all know that dressing appropriately for all the roles in our play of life can be very serious, so much so that I have posted several times about its influence on job interviews, financial interactions, etc., etc., in the various blogs. 

This post, however, is about the ample fun side to the art of fashion.  Although the fashion critics have been very critical (so far) about the 'disappointing boredom' of the Fall/Winter 2016 runway shows, I have been hugely delighted with the shows I have seen. Although I do agree that the fashions themselves for the most part are simply extensions of styles from the previous two years, I am delighted with the way the colors and patterns have been re-worked; the fantasy and inventive use of color, design, and pattern are compelling, and simply, quite wonderful.  The shows provide marvelous inspiration for playing with our own wardrobes and adding a bit of sheer joy in mixing and/or buying our clothes for the upcoming fall/winter season.

To the left you see (corrected) of another prevailing theme in the collections; more use of unisex dressing, with many of the shows intermingling male model as well as female wearing very similar garments. In this picture I was beginning assembly of my "closet collections" for winter.  I have on only the main garments and have not chosen the accessories for the necessary "pop of color", (updated 2/29)

For us older ladies, we will definitely be blessed with low heeled and sturdy flat heeled shoes with very masculine details. I had two pair and purchased another in a style I saw frequently on the runway (closeout, $13.00 that were originally $70.00)

Speaking of shopping, it has been my experience that although many women say they 'hate to shop' most of those who hate it are insecure about the way they look in the clothes they find, do not feel well enough to trudge around to find the garments they like, or do not have the budget to subject  themselves to the temptation.  Women who care about the way they look and/or love fresh new ways to present themselves to the world usually love to shop.  It is important to us as evidenced by all the retail sources available.  Many of us use shopping as 'retail therapy'.  I have to admit, I make a game out of dressing as wonderfully as I can on a limited budget.  Styling is grown up fun; an adult form of dressing Barbie.

.................Have fun styling!...........Rockmyages@aol.com


No comments:

Post a Comment