Saturday, May 28, 2016

Mature Fashion: Memorial Day

Although it is important to remember the solemn purpose and original reason for this originally somber day of remembrance, it is now balanced with a holiday spirit that is much like the 4th of July; in fact, many of the decorations, color schemes, foods, etc. have taken on exactly the same flavor.  Many people do not associate the day as tribute to our fallen soldiers who died in battle but do honor the day with with a ceremony of flowers, etc. on family member's graves.
almost all people I know do treat the day as a holiday and/or family gathering, and often, a cook-out.

The annual Memorial Day weekend BBQ at our clubhouse screamed for the red, white, and blue thematics in clothing, but I didn't want to overdo the Stars and Stripes motif; I compromised with the faded old boating shoes from several years ago (I think they were reproduced again this season!!)...at any rate..if not, they sure are similar.

We had a live band who played in the shady tree lined walk outside the club house; a few of us adventurous souls reprised our more youthful dance steps and certainly kept up with our aerobic activities.  A few of the ladies did line dancing routines to the "oldies but goodies' music; and a good time was had by all. As would be expected, we had far too much food, so the exercise was certainly needed (hamburgers, hot dogs, tri-tip steak, and salmon...countless salads, and Neapolitan and vanilla ice cream sandwiches for all)!!

o fashion note, several of the ladies in our complex attend a jewelry making class once a week and many of them were wearing the red/white/blue bracelets and/or they made last week.  Although I just joined and have made nothing yet, I am really getting interested in this craft because I can see endless possibilities for enhancing an ensemble with my own personal style; I also love the idea of creating something that is uniquely Me.

I am becoming more and more interested in making or adapting existing garments to give them a personal flair. I do not want to be a carbon copy of others: ( I am so over articles that say "how to dress like.." I want uniqueness but a look(s) that is/are flattering and suitable to Me.

Although fashion should be fun (have a bit of wit or whimsy) I personally do not care for fashion whose sole value is in being "outrageous." (No, I am not talking about Lady Gaga, Madonna, or other entertainment figures who rely upon the outrageous to market themselves; they know exactly what they are doing!)...nor do I mean the authentic originals like Iris Apfel or other ladies who have made a particular item  a signature look; one that has become an extension of their own personality.  (who doesn't immediately think of those big round glasses on her  90+ rockin' years!!)  She never looks outrageous......courageous, maybe, but never outrageous...a model for us all.........

1 comment:

  1. I love that that you want to be original yet stylish 😀 I too like things to be different.

    ReplyDelete