Monday, August 15, 2016

Mature Fashion: Maintaining a social network

This particular post reflects on the social networking of middle aged and senior citizens that may decrease suddenly as we age; each decade reminds us more significantly of the potential changes within our social network.  Loss of family, loss of friends, changes in work environments that affect human interaction and sense of personal purpose can become more muddled, etc., etc.  Good friends and peer family members who have experienced physical or emotional decline that no longer allow them to participate fully in the simple acts of day to day "living".

As you know from reading my blogs, I have experienced directly (or interaction with) most of these changes during the last few years.  Of course, I want to forestall (or prevent) as much of this as possible and "rock my age(s)".

I am thrilled to say that my involvement with some of the classes at my club house, involvement with some of the social activities has allowed me to meet and enjoy some delightful new people and making some new friends.  I have also devised a more planned approach to maintaining former activities with long time friends who no longer can share activities due to health issues.  I have also renewed and/or refreshed some of the skills and interests I have had over the years.

I am considering starting a "styling salon" at my home for some of my new acquaintance who are also interested in maintaining an up-to-date fashion and styling program.

The long silk leopard scarf worn in the above picture was given to me as a birthday present almost forty years ago; one of the main reason I collect quality and classic accessories, whether or not I will wear them during a particular season.

I am wearing it with Kors snakeskin printed cotton pants, Hanes long sleeve t-shirt, and Sam Edelman (Circus) silver flats.  Both are perfect "no nonsense" accessories for the practical "at home" ensemble.  It is also a great example of the timeliness of animal prints and timely luxury fabrics. 

The "Indianna Jones" flop hat, a Target purchase, keeps the broiling sun off my face.  For those who love and need hats as basic accessories, visit Stylecrone.com for Judith Boyd's stylish "hat attacks" for inventive and current ways to wear hats successfully.  I do agree with her view that everyone can wear hats; they just need to find the right kind.


2 comments:

  1. I want those flats. Have been searching high and low for them as my similar (treasured) ones have become too damaged.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greetje;

    The silver flats with the python back are "Circus by Sam Edelmann; They are amazingly comfortable and I wear them a lot, also. (I actually thought of your comment in your blog regarding comfort does not have to mean lack of style when tramping the streets of cosmopolitan Europe (or actually any part of any country). Thanks for being such a great role model.

    Geneva

    ReplyDelete