Sunday, August 28, 2016

Mature Fashion: Styling and Self Image

Some of my favorite styling ensembles are just the remix of old but favorite garments that already exist in my closet.  You may have noticed that the pictures on these blogs are often different than the ones I have shown in my seasonal "closet collections".  Naturally, that occurs because I continuously receive new inspiration throughout the season.  Although I curate my closet every season to make sure all the garments are appropriate for lifestyle, not too worn, and still work as to fit, color, etc., I want to make sure I have desirable ensembles that give a fresh new look to my wardrobe and "rock my age", what ever it is at the time and season.

Case in point is the ensemble to the left; I literally have had the blouse, necklace, hat, scarf, skirt, and shoes for a number of years. In fact, the black silk self embroidered blouse is over twenty years old, as is the scarf.  The classic Mabe pearl strand is over thirty, the hat over ten, and the shoes over fifteen.  I don't remember how old the skirt, but somewhere around five. I wore a dated Dooney Bourke slim shoulder strap handbag that is at least 25 years old. (I did add a clip on black leather tassel to add a trendy touch).

I bought the textured open weave tights last year to update the look of the classic sweater dress I wore for a winter function. Those tights alone updated that look, and once again, came to the rescue; that worn with the tie up black leather "boyfriend" oxfords and the addition of the flat brimmed (sorta) black straw  hat gave a fresh new look to garments that worn conventionally would have just looked outdated and rather "blah".

Of course, the added and very practical advantage is there is neither any expense or shopping time involved when you do a remix.  The only thing I have to remember is to make sure of using appropriate styling in both the use of jewelry and hair and cosmetic enhancements.  This ensemble would not "work" for me if I added very much jewelry (especially matching bracelets, rings, or earrings!) or if I wore conventional pump flats or heels.  I have no fear about looking my age, but I do not like to look "dated" or boring.

By the way, one proof that I did "rock my age" when I wore this was the number of compliments I received that day.  I had several errands to run, a visit to the doctor, and lunch in town. Literally, every place I visited I received an admiring comment; at the doctor's office a young woman (with her husband, no less) took the time to cross the room and lavishly praise the look.  Obviously, I felt very good about the message I was presenting....I knew I looked good, and I felt GREAT!

2 comments:

  1. I think that is really the art of styling. When you know how to update pieces you already possess. Very well done. And apart from the outfit, I love that little bag.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greetje;

    Sorry I haven't answered sooner but I did not get the messages until today (??) although I see this is dated the 3rd. The bag is a Dooney Bourke to which I added a matching leather tassle; just a touch of the current fad, you know.

    I love your blog, and have received a lot of inspiration from some of your "looks". Thanks for "Rocking your age".

    Geneva

    ReplyDelete