Sunday, October 2, 2016

Mature Fashion: Rocking the Role

I have been asked a few times why I title my posts "mature fashion".  Although it is true that a certain age does not convey "maturity", and it is clear that this blog primarily addresses the concerns of people who are past the first blush of youth, it is meant for the "mature" woman, no matter what her age.  This blog is all about using the very important tools of image and fashion to send a positive message of pleasant maturity.  It is all about encouraging an older woman to feel wonderful about herself and secure in the fact that she is sending that message to the world; it is all about "Rocking age", no matter what the date of her birth.

As you know from previous posts, I have been adjusting to the different roles in this latest phase of my life.  It is uncertain that I will ever re-enter the 8 to 5 (or whatever scheduled hours) of the conventional work world.  One thing is for certain, I am not ready to "retire" to an existence of sweat pants, keeping track of who has the cleanest house on the block, coffee and cake gossip meets, the current aches and pains of the ladies circle, or the latest escapades (and competition) of grandchildren. Although any and all of those concerns may (or may not) be significant, it does not allow me to keep an expanded horizon; to use a phrase from one of my favorite bloggers I am "Not Dead Yet"!! Hopefully, my endeavors to once again "re-invent" myself for new roles that will serve me well in this latest phase of my life.

To begin this re-invention, I have joined the nominating committee of our local Homeowner Association; hopefully, I will get to know more of the people in the park, what the concerns are, and be able to contribute a bit to the community.  I am also in the process of re-vitalizing my mail order fashion doll business (Lord Perry Patterns -specializing in historical and special occasion patterns for 11 1/2 and for 16" inch fashion dolls such as the ever popular Barbie and Robert Tonner dolls such as Tyler Wentworth, etc.) that I began in 1994. I actually planned on that business becoming my retirement job back when I was a young 53 years old. 

This business was "put on hold" since 1997 because of family concerns that did not permit the necessary time for the business.  Because of that and return to my professional consulting job I did not have the time.   I attempted to return to the mail order business in 2011 but was unable to do so because of medical issues, (brain surgery, no less!)  moving, and other family issues as well as working part time in the retail furniture business that I enjoyed. 

Having interests that expand my life help me to "Rockmyage"; using fashion and style help me feel I am sending my message and help me achieve my goals in whatever endeavor I pursue.

No comments:

Post a Comment