Monday, October 26, 2015

Mature Fashion: Fashion rules



Hello Stylinistas

Today its not about looking Young; It is about looking Good!!


One of the reasons I began this blog was the barrage of "don'ts" that I read on the few articles that discussed mature fashion, but I found very little emphasis on what you can "do" to make oneself look great.  Many of the rules I did find I consider silly; "wearing season themed sweater or sweatshirts, don't wear elastic waist pants, don't wear comfort sandals, don't wear t-shirts with mottos, etc."  As in ALL art forms one has to use a little thought, inspiration, balance, proportion, creativity, and good judgement to bring out the best of your assets.   A well groomed woman (a flattering hair style in a flattering shade of color, craftily applied cosmetics, well fitted garments,-not just "neat and clean")  who knows what type and style of garments suit her best does not have to fear a rain deer motif on a sweatshirt!  She is going to look great no matter her age. 

Obviously, if the baggy (or too tight) sweatshirt is on the older lady with the baggy elastic waist pants, the comfort sandals with socks, etc., she is not going to look good unless she is possibly under 20 and has the slouchy teen attitude.  Most young women buy it because they LIKE it or it is the "style".  Fortunately, with their toned bodies, hours of perfect cosmetic application and innocent confidence, they look GOOD no matter what they wear.  It is the feeling of confidence, the sparking eyes, etc. that carry the day.

Almost all of the articles I mentioned that are written for older women focus on looking younger.  First of all, people who look "good", almost always look "youthFUL".  It is the attitude, the energy level, etc. to which people react.  One of the most outlandish articles dealt with the fact that smiling caused wrinkles; that may be (and is) probably true, however, do we wish to restrain ourselves from an honest smile to prevent a wrinkle?  


We have all known people who were "old" even though their years were not; we have also known many who were "young at heart" and we enjoyed them. Most of us envy the ones who look great no matter their age and fall into the latter category. Being young at heart also includes flexibility.  Many older women are still locked into "rules" of their youth, such as the mixing of prints and plaid or stripes like in my picture above. 

My goal for this blog is to interact with those who fall into the category of wanting to look "good" no matter her age and who has the initiative to not settle for less than being all she can be.  It is meant for sharing our knowledge, tips, and other information that seems to be lacking across all media.  There are few resources for our age group or for people who want to become their own stylist and learn to make the most of their older body. The few that are out there do not deal with the challenges of the average American woman 

One can buy great comfort shoes and elastic waist pants in any style and suitable for women of any age.  What one does have to know is how to make the most of the assets one has and how to minimize perceived defects.  This woman has to be willing to work a bit to make the best of herself and be confident that she is worth it.  I am amazed at the number of women I have known in my lifetime who feel they have time to steam clean a garbage can but do not feel they have time to steam their face. Obviously, I have chosen an extreme example but I am sure you get my point.  These are usually to women who have lost all interest in themselves as pertinent individuals; they have given up. 

Of course, I am not talking about the older woman who really does not care about her appearance (she probably did not when she was much younger).  This blog is about women who do; women who want to continue to feel confident about themselves, who strive to be the best they can be, and are searching for new ideas, strategies, assistance, and sharing of information. Women who want to continue to grow, make the most of assets, and look wonderful as long as they live.

Once again, let me share my opinion on rules: I do not believe in many generalized fashion rules. Do not confuse fashion rules with rules of perception common to art and architecture, etc.  Perspective, facts of illusion, etc. are concrete and must be accepted as truth.  I am speaking of point-in-time rules such as "never wear a yellow dress,  you cannot mix prints and plaids, never wear black and brown together, never wear navy and black together, never match shoes and handbag, always match shoes and handbag", blah, blah, blah...Almost every fresh fashion breaks a "rule" of another time. 

Having said all that, I believe every woman must compose a list of personal fashion rules, based on her likes and dislikes, her specific body, face, age, lifestyle, etc. Every person's features are unique. She should understand the existing "rules" to assure herself why the rule should not apply to her. (a specific body feature, specific fabric textures, patterns)

The definition of "good taste" is also fluid.  Almost everyone I have ever met believe they have "good taste".  Many with whom I agree; many I can't believe anything but a large ego could possibly lead to that conclusion. Lauren Hutton is reputed to have made the statement that "most person's who were renowned for good taste grew up with Old Master and Picasso paintings on the wall".  Of course, she meant they learned good taste from the exposure; they were not born with it.  The rule concerning elastic waists for older women is a case in point.  Most people know there are stylish elastic waist pants; they really mean the cheap knit materials many economy stores continually carry.  That is one of the main problems with high end designers making lines for low quality big box stores.  I see many designs that are wonderful, but the materials are shoddy at best.

It is my observation the older I am, the less I can afford to add too many trend elements to any fashion combination. I have a personal "rule" of not combining too many fashion elements in an ensemble.  I have found this is one of the most common mistakes mature women make when trying to obsessively follow fashion trends; i.e., they will wear the latest shoe fashion,the latest skirt or pant design elements, the latest jewelry fad, color combination, etc. etc.  Many of them all at once.  I edit carefully how many fashion "must haves" I wear at one time.  I never wish to appear I am imitating my grand-daughter or that we are 'twins".  I also make sure I am wearing the bulk of clothing and accessories in high quality items. I will allow only one or two items in the ensemble to be less expensive trendy items.  

I find that "less is more" the older I get (remember, this rule, too can be broken with exactly the right outfit, and on the right woman-I break some taboo almost every season and usually love the effect.  It is important to remember, however, that all persons do not appear to advantage in all things.  I wear more cosmetics now than when I was younger but less of each type, this works for me.  To thine own self be true; Let your mirror and "feel" be your guide)

Have you defined your own personal rules for looking your fashion best?  I would love to hear your personal "rules" and why you have them....Happy Styling...Geneva

No comments:

Post a Comment