Saturday, October 10, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking Boho

Hello Stylinistas....
Well, I put my house back in order on Friday and had a little time left over to do a little scouting for two items I knew I did not have in my closets that I thought would work well for my boho interpretations. I am really excited to be writing today's post; it combines three of my favorite subjects; shopping in my closet, purchasing trendy items  at  bargain prices, and exploring/refining/extending my own wardrobe fashion possibilities to "rock my age".


I think of Bohemian (Boho) fashion as gypsy, "hippy", craftsy fashion and fondly remember my Gunne Sax dresses (I even made one), Birkenstock sandals, suede fabrics, long skirts, etc. After pondering what I might be able to use to style an updated version of this image without producing a "costume", I began my shopping (as I usually do) in my closet.  

I knew I had some sweaters, hats, etc. that could be used to create a restrained boho interpretation.  I would have to purchase a few items to create the impression I wanted, but I certainly did not wish to spend very much money on items I knew I might not use very often. I also knew this look could easily become too literal. I looked forward to  the challenge.  I am pleased to say that I spent only sixty dollars to complete an entire boho wardrobe.  Visit rockmyrunwaay.blogspot.com for some examples of my own own personal "Boho"  style.

The look to the left is my first ensemble.  I used an existing long hippy print sleeveless summer dress with a slit to the knee (something I put on after a shower in the summer) topped with a elbow length sleeve black polyester turtleneck, layered with a duster length vest (purchased for $27.00-half my budget) trimmed at armholes with faux leather.  I accessorized with black over/under earrings, Indiana Jones black wool hat, black hose, and black heeled ankle boots, black leather hobo purse, a black leather bracelet, and over/under black post earrings.  

If you are a natural boho, this will be your season to shine, or if not, you  might want to unleash your inner "Boho".  I hope rockmyrunwaay.blogspot.com gives you some inspiration.

 Happy styling...........Geneva








2 comments:

  1. I think you should upgrade your pictures...in some of them you are too far away and it looks like you are taking the picture by looking at a mirror. Can't you used the timed setting feature on your phone's camera? The phone covers up most of the detail on the front of the garment you are wearing; not having the phone in your hand would also give you a chance to smile and pose more. I also think you need to be closer..it is too hard to see the clothes when you appear too far away."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous

      Thank you for your very accurate feedback; you are correct on all points. As you may know, this is a new blog and I am working out the kinks as I go along. I may be a stylist but I am not a photographer and know very little about the bells and whistles of the phone's technology. I know about the timed setting feature but I haven't figured out how to accomplish the task. Obviously, I do not wish to hire a professional photographer because of the expense. For the present, I hope I can convey the message of what can be achieved until I figure out a better way. Thank you again, your input is appreciated..........Geneva

      Delete