Thursday, October 29, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking Stripes


Hello Stylinistas:



Today we are going to talk about stripes; stripes as a fashion staple has been around since Coco Chanel made them fashionable after World War I, using the French sailor uniform as her inspiration. 

Stripes are still going strong, slight changes such as direction, wide vertical stripes, usually in just two colors.  Also, many of the stripe patterns have white background and uneven spacing with many of the patterns showing openings and nautical buttons at the shoulder and stripes beginning near the bustline down to the waist.  many of the stripes will still be in black and the nautical themes are often black and white rather than navy and white.


I really could not believe it when a good friend of mine mentioned that she did not like to see stripes and prints together because she had been taught the stripes and prints of any kind did not go together.  Well, people once thought the world was flat, too; pairing stripes and floral prints have been around so long they are a fabric staple. It is wise, however,  to address a few art principles when making your pattern selections. Usually, when using two or more patterns together, you want to colors to be compatible and/or in the same tone.  Check proportions to determine if the mix is pleasing.  Once again, there is no hard and fast rule; just be aware and make sure your combination pleases the eye.  If you love it, it probably works.


I mentioned in the previous post that most of the fashion collections I have presented were representative of a seasonal fashion style, usually created by Fashion Week designers in their seasons fashion shoes.  As you know, these trickle down to the fashion you actually see and buy in the retail stores shortly thereafter.  Details like patterns, colors, artistic themes, etc. tend to be trends; details like plaids, animal prints, etc., and may continue throughout several fashion seasons.

Stripes is one of the major themes that will continue throughout 2016.  They will be different; presented in new ways until the theme fades away until resurgence at a much later fashion season. Rest assured the geometric stripe will return.For spring, 2016 you will continue to see a lot of stripes.  I will have some examples later this season when I style my interpretations of "Not So Old Glory". (I will apply my own names for the fashion themes. It is fun to have my own themes targeting mature women rather than the traditional targeted age groups).


I mentioned in the previous posts that most of the fashion collections I have presented were representative of a seasonal fashion style, usually created by Fashion Week designers or Fashion magazines such as InStyle or Vogue.  As you know, these trickle down to the fashion you actually see and buy in the retail stores shortly thereafter.  Details like patterns, colors, artistic themes, etc. tend to be trends; details like plaids, animal prints, etc., are often trends that may continue throughout several fashion seasons. 

For stylings from my own closet (remember, I always shop my closet first) I will share with you combinations I will be wearing this fall and early spring.  Of course, there are many more possibilities but what you see is based on my figure and fashion aesthetic.  You may view them on "Rockmyrunwaay.blogspot.com"........Happy Styling......and Happy Halloween......Geneva

No comments:

Post a Comment