Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Mature Fashion: Off To A Fresh Start


Winter white uniform with cape & accessories
Happy New Year, Stylinistas

The beginning of a new year always signals a time of new beginnings;  for a dedicated stylinista it is also a time for taking stock of ones wardrobe and making sure it "rocks our age".  Many changes to our life may have happened in the past year that might affect what items we decide to keep or add to our individual closet. 

Several women over forty and most women over fifty and all women, women who have lost or gained a significant amount of weight, or younger women who have just completed their education have one wardrobe challenge in common; re-adjustment of their wardrobes to meet challenges in their wardrobe.  Many women over forty, especially ones who have been full time homemakers with children have a very limited wardrobe of practical jeans, etc. This age group are the women who may be contemplating return to the work force, may be experiencing a change in their personal relationships or just abandoning a "part time" job for a career.  In all cases, for both the mature women and the younger, the roles of their lifestyles have changed and wardrobes need to be adjusted. 

 "Rockmyrole.blogspot.com" is the blog dedicated to wardrobe for the roles in our lifestyle;  in that blog you will discover how to divide your lifestyle into the roles of full time homemaker with children, career professional, working mother, retired volunteer, etc., and plan your wardrobe needs accordingly. It is also the blog to assist in planning fresh new approaches to wearing clothes already in your closet and any purchases for the upcoming season.

"Rockmyages" is the blog dedicated to using that wardrobe to live life to the fullest and the sense of well being that is generated when we know we look great; that we are "rocking our age".  We simply feel better, act with more confidence, and reap more rewards as a result. 

I have been generating this blog for four months and have learned a lot of new and renewed skills in some of today's social media and smart phone technology (learning also keeps all adults youthful), some of which I want to share with you today.  As you already know, these blogs are really targeted to women over 40, although most of the material applies to any fashionista, and certainly to anyone who is interested in creating fresh and stylish clothing ensembles.  It also means many of us are not that involved with Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, or the other myriad of social media streams. I am posting this because I have learned first hand how many of us in the plus 50 age group have been short changing ourselves. (for some reason the 40 to 50 age group are much more in tune with the technology of social media-maybe because they grew up with cell phones?)

Rocking our age means keeping ourselves in tune with the world around us; I am appalled at how rusty I have become on the uses (and mis-uses) of these new technical toys and tools.  I have been using my desktop for years to create a style book of new looks, ideas, etc. for style enhancements.  I have also mentioned several times how important it is to keep a stylebook to provide inspiration in updating our fashion look.  Today, in a casual text conversation with my niece, I discovered that technology in the form of Pinterest would have saved me oceans of time in creating these style books.  My style books would have been far more effective had I bothered to learn how Pinterest worked. Fortunately, I had just started some pre-fall 2016 research. Using my Pinterest account, I was able to create one in less than 1 hour.  (I have had an account for months; so long ago I can't remember why I got it) .

In these four months I have learned how to save tons of time and money by using the existing capabilities on my cell phone, my desk top, and the entire social media to make my life more interesting and efficient in more ways than just fashion research.  I am passing this on because as an older member of the group, you are missing so much of your family life, especially extended family and friends by not being involved in these technologies. Just transferring pictures alone makes it worthwhile, not to mention all the communication and educational benefits.  I have also discovered a lot of resistance of its use, primarily in the 50+ plus age group.

Yes, there is bad as well as good, but just as in all other forms of social life, it is fairly easy to adapt the manners of social intercourse to avoid most pitfalls.  Yes, there is a certain amount of danger, but certainly nothing that basic common sense cannot mitigate.  There is danger in simply living; as a younger 40+ once told me, we evolve or we die.  Personally, I believe that "rocking My Age" means evolving.  I hope that you agree.

Rocking My Age also means living all parts of my life in the manner I wish to do so.  The only inconvenient result of these blogs is the amount of time I spend preparing them.  I am trying to find ways to do all that I need to and wish to do to minimize the time expended.  In the meanwhile, I will be reducing the number of post that I make to just once per week.

Well, happy 2016; let's see what new slices of life confront us as we all "Rock Our Ages".

.........Geneva.................Rockmyages@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment