Thursday, October 20, 2016

Mature Fashion: :"No Fear Of Fashion"; A seriously great blog..

Well, today "RockMyAges" is writing about a fashion and lifestyle  blog "NoFearOfFashion.com," written by Greetje Kamminga, a Dutch website that fully demonstrates the principles of women of a certain age rocking that age with style and a great sense of fun.

"NoFearOfFashion.com" is a website I discovered and have been following for several weeks that I believe all mature fashion followers will want to follow, (if you don't already).  I am so enthusiastic about the site because Greetje (the only author) projects so very well the view that I have of a woman who "rocks age."  She exudes classic style with a fresh approach and a light and relaxed sense of current fashion in the outfits she wears.  I have been so impressed with the suitability of her fashion sense for my particular target audience; that of mature women who live somewhat average lives  and realize that life is not over when you reach the "golden years".

I also discovered "brocante", a new word to me; a "flea market", to most of us here in the USA. I have always wanted to go to the French flea markets but the timing has never been right for me.  Greetje's site is filled with delightful photographs (taken, I believe by her significant other) of these secondhand treasures (many of them appear to be costly vintage).  In every photograph of her and her seemingly extensive circle of friends, she effortlessly exhibits great personal style while demonstrating a woman can be both stylish while being comfortable. (Although, Danish in origin, not Dutch, Dansko, and American made SAS, Munro, Cole Haan, Brighton, etc.  have been worn for years by stylish equestrian, medical personnel, etc., and other career professionals who are on their feet a lot.)

I have saved several of Greetje's fashions to a board in my Pinterest account (NoFearFashion) because I have wanted to use her as a model for styling principles when discussing her body type and how she uses design to make the most of hers. I am petite at 5'2" inches and weight 130 at this time (I'm still working on that last 5 lbs; the good news is I have lost 4 pounds since the first of the year!) She, like me, tends to use herself in most of the photographs..(although, hint, hint, her friends are not too shy to be used in photos).

I also want to re-emphasize her use of comfort as well as style; any woman can still send the message that she cares about her public appearance yet be comfortable. Public appearance is all about respect, both self respect and respect to the environment in which they  are in; appropriateness is still a foundation principle of good manners. (DO many of our population really remember anything about manners....if they were ever taught any?)

I might point out that Greetje made an observation on her last trip to Paris as to how so many Europeans could spot most American tourists easily. Unfortunate, but true, these observations are based on lack of respect by the tourists for their host environment. Europeans do not treat their restaurants, museums, churches, etc. as locales appropriate for tennis shoes and t-shirts, or even observe such gestures as removing a cap in church; something every male should have learned as a boy.  Having traveled on several tours, etc. in Europe, I do know this is unfortunately true.

Obviously, this is not true of every American woman, but it is all too often true.  I have personally seen too many overweight women wearing shorts, tennis shoes, a baggy sweater tied around the waist, and a sloppy hat or cap.  Usually, these are the same people who complain about the "rudeness" of the (fill in the blanks...., etc.)  Also, the same who complain because there is not a coffee pot in their room (who SAYS coffee pots are supposed to be in ANY bedroom because Motel "6" offers it!!)  I have never been treated with anything but respect and consideration by the locals on any trip I have taken...but then I respect that I am a guest in another country and am not entitled to any special consideration other than that of a visitor. 

Anyway, this Dutch lady seems to really have it together on effortless but stylish dressing;  I already have a fair idea of how successfully she rocks her age.  I believe she is about nine years younger than I am, that she is self disciplined but not compulsive, has multiple interests, and is enjoying her life immensely.  I don't know her background, but I do know she understands design principles such as balance, proportion, color, textures, etc.  I also observe she knows how to use it to flatter her face, figure, and lifestyle; a really great role model.  She also publishes a delightful cyber site.  She has generously shared with me some advice to make the "RockMy.." sites better (I am a strong believer in continuous improvement!!)
I will be posting more about this on RockMyStyling.blogspot.com .

As always, I stress that the way a woman chooses to dress sends a message to everyone she meets; that message is non-verbal, as is +90% of all communication.  I believe in choosing my messages wisely.

To change the subject, yesterday was an errand day (car maintenance, some shopping,etc).  The weather was both chilly and hot, depending upon the time of day. I chose to wear my subdued shiny gold leather pants with the monochromatic Munro crossed vamp flats, a beige crocheted lace edged tank top, a St. John Santana  beige knit sweater jacket militarily trimmed in mid-nite blue.  Because so much beige close to my face would make me too sallow, I chose a heavy multi-colored agate necklace to wear between my face and jacket.  I further accessorized (a bit of my titled "steampunk circus"  look ) with a Don and Ed Hardy fantasy trimmed belt ...sorry, too far away in the picture for much detail....... I chose the Fossil bucket bag to compliment the colors of the necklaces.  









2 comments:

  1. You make my all shy with all these compliments. But it is very flattering of course, so thank you very much. I don't think I know everything about proportion, textures etc., but I have learned a lot by following other bloggers, commenting and getting feed-back. I am 5ft74, weighing 141 lbs with long legs which are great advantages for styling. My length and legs are a given, my weight is something I really work at: not too many sweets and fitness class twice a week. As I love clothes, I have quite a few items (to use an understatement). It is imperative that I remain the same weight otherwise nothing fits anymore. What a waste that would be!
    Still, even though I am lucky in some divisions, I also have my "problem areas". I have a stomach and belly which want to stick out, tiny hips and bum. These last two things might seem a dream to lots of women, but it just creates other "problems" in styling. My shape is an inverted triangle and I have to try and create more of an hourglass figure otherwise I look like a man.
    Whatever your bodyshape is, there are solutions to look good. You just have to invest time in reseach.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I was right about your overall body type, etc. You DO show it to advantage very well. The compliments are well deserved as it takes both a bit of work and practice to achieve your results.(and, of course, a love of fashion and a desire to look one's best). I understand perfectly your styling challenges with a larger waist area and smaller bum as I share the same challenges. Yes,the long leg length gives you a great styling advantage with many great options.

      Delete